Monday, September 20, 2010

Change in the Air!




It is so hard to believe that winter is just around the corner! This week, both our language school and the kids' international school has a day off on Wednesday, celebrating the national holiday of Mid-Autumn Festival. There are specific foods associated with all of the Chinese holidays, and this one is Moon Cakes. So this week, we've been dining on several kinds that I would never have guessed we would consume if asked about them one year ago! The kids' favorite is one with nuts and dates inside, but there are also ones with egg yolk (not sure how they're cooked, but look surprisingly raw, although I'm sure that's not the case!), red bean paste (which most people mistakenly think is actually chocolate until taking the first bite), and other such Chinese flavors! I vaguely remember this celebration last year, but honestly felt like we were in such a fog and such survival-mode, that this year is much more fun to learn more about the traditions and general practices that go along with this holiday. I've realized that since we've been here a full year now, a lot of things that struck me as really odd before now are much more normal. While this is a good thing, I'm also still wanting to be aware of the differences around me, not just be numb to sights and sounds that really are quite remarkable in their own way! [For example, on my 30-minute walk to take Hudson to pre-school on Friday, I noticed several traffic things that were sooooo different from anything you would see in the States! The first was a toddler sitting--no, make that half-squatting, half-standing--in the front seat of a car (obviously no car seat) while his dad (I'm assuming) was driving with one hand on the wheel and the other patting the boy's cheek (not watching the road--which you just DON'T do in Tianjin traffic)! I quickly noted the situation and shot up a quick prayer that they boy would make it to their destination in one piece! Right after this, I noted a man in the middle of a busy intersection, squatting on the ground next to his bicycle. He was not hurt, but it looked as if something was wrong with his bike. So rather than take it to the sidewalk area that was a mere 20 yards away, he choose to squat down where he could hardly be seen by the dozens of cars whizzing by him in rush-hour traffic! Amazing. Again, another prayer shot up on his behalf! Thirdly, I noted the number of vehicles turning RIGHT from the left-hand lane and the number turning LEFT from the right-hand lane! Again--something that you see very seldom in Texas traffic!]

We've also still been enjoying surprisingly pleasant weather (at least the temperature!). The last few days have been quite rainy, which is unusual for Tianjin--for which I am VERY thankful as our transportation becomes much more challenging in inclimate weather! It was raining again today when it was time for me to head to class, so I donned my huge rain poncho, purchased a few months ago by the vendor on the side of the road who sells all sorts of rain paraphernalia from the opened back end of his van. As I began my journey, I realized that my legs were still getting slightly wet and my poncho kept riding up to my knees, leaving my calves exposed to the elements. As this just would not due, mainly since I was wearing new jeans (purchased in Tianjin--no small miracle there to find jeans that not only fit by are a suitable style for my preferences!), I observed the other bikers around me and noted that they all had the front of their rain ponchos stretched out OVER the front end of their bike baskets (something EVERYONE in China has our of sheer practicality). Once I made the adjustment, I biked along much more quickly and dryly (if that's a word), and was torn between feeling a little bit foolish at having just figured out this little nuance of in-rain riding and also a little proud that I'd observed others and learned something in the process! Thankfully, my ride home two hours later after class was cool, but not so wet!

So enough contemplating the details of China-life. As far as updates on the Josephs, we again had a busy weekend--but very much enjoyed! Karis had a Field Day at her school on Thursday, which I helped out with. It was really fun to see her getting to play and interact with so many new friends! On Friday, we had a family movie night, watching a cartoon version of Ben-Hur that was checked out from the library. (You can see the picture of Karis with our bunny Bo watching together on the couch.) The kids loved the chariots and soldiers, and were intrigued by the story. Saturday we had friends from Dallas come in town to visit and encourage us, complete with gifts for both Kevin and me and the kids! We enjoyed time fellowshipping over some meals and sharing some of the highlights of the past year. On Sunday, one of our dear friends here came over to babysit so that Kevin and I could have a date night. We went out to one of our favorite Thai food restaurants and then to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream afterward. Then we even had time to run by a new store here in town (H&M--which is apparently a pretty well-known brand even in the STates, but I'm embarrassed to say that I've only just learned of it in the last few months!) to do some shopping--a rarity indeed! (This is the origin of my new jeans, previously mentioned.) So fun weekend, followed up by another fun-filled week with lots of good friend time scheduled to happen. Counting down the days til our Dallas visit at Christmas time. Probably didn't help that Kevin and I went over our list of most-missed restaurants in Dallas during our date time on Sunday night. All I know is that I'd better start the fasting now.... :)