Wednesday, December 23, 2009

New Dongxi (stuff)!



We've had such a fun day getting more new stuff! We received a package from precious friends in the States, complete with throw blankets, Fruit Loops, and a ton of fun and hard to find food items! The kids and I were all squealing with delight the whole time we dug through the box. Talk about a fun treat! And then tonight Kevin and I had the added blessing of getting a date night. My friend that I have been meeting with each week has gotten to know the kids, and she actually insisted on coming over to watch the whole crew to give Kevin and me a night off. We were so pumped! We taxied to a mall that is about half an hour away that has Papa John's, Starbucks, and Cold Stone! And yes, we went to all three. The special occasion of being able to enjoy them all made the calorie intake well worth it! I had an oral exam today in class, and now Kevin and I both have the next two days off from school for Christmas, so we decided that was reason enough to celebrate!

After we grabbed a bite (and ice cream and coffee!), we walked to another nearby store we had been told about to check out some kids' toys there. On the way, I was surprised to find boxes and boxes of puppies out on the street! (wish I had my camera!) There were so many people selling puppies that were so cute, but seemed so out of place in this super busy metropolitan area. Who knows? I guess we are in China, so you never know what you're going to get!?

When we made it to the toy store I found myself explaining to the man working there that I had four kids (in Chinese, of course). I went into my mini-introduction, feeling quite proud of my Mandarin and my boldness in using what I knew. When he showed me the Nerf guns that he was suggesting we buy for the boys, I ran into a bit of a dilemma. I kept repeating "Wo yao zheige" (trying to say "I have this.") The man kept nodding his head, seeming to understand, but I realized my mistake when he finally walked away and put the Nerf gun into a cart that he wheeled back over to me. I was actually saying "I want this." (the difference is in the middle word "yao" verses "you", pronounced "yow" and "yo"!) I started laughing hysterically and apologizing, and then corrected myself. The man kind of smiled and laughed too, but then walked away and let me shop alone. (I think I freaked him out a little bit!)

We made it through the kids toy store without making any purchases. The mark-ups on imported toys that are of decent quality are so high that it makes buying them really tough to justify unless it is something we're really sold on! But we did go into a clothing store and I made my first Chinese clothing purchase! I don't consider myself much of a shopper, but realize over these last 4 months of being here that I am more so than I thought. I've really missed not being able to go into a mall (or even a Super Target for that matter!) and at least browse through the women's clothing department. Anyway, I found a cute shirt that actually had sleeves long enough to fit me that I purchased (at a good, China price!). Yeah! Now Chinese clothing is not known for it's quality, so the question still remains as to how long it will last, but I have high hopes to get some good use out of it before it poops out on me completely!