Thursday, October 15, 2009

Our First National Friends!



We had yet another "first" today--Chinese friends over to our apartment to join us for lunch! The two men in our real estate office here in our community who have helped us so much with everything from getting our internet set up to purchasing our 3 wheeler came over today for us to repay them with a meal. We had a great time--in spite of the fact that they speak very little English, and we obviously speak very little Chinese! But there was lots of laughing and smiling around the table anyway. We got a great peek into the general spiritual state of the nation when Kevin asked if it was okay if he prayed before we ate, and was met by one of the men with a total blank stare. After he conversed in Chinese with his colleague and then pulled out his translation device and typed away for a few minutes, he held it up with the word "religion" showing up on the screen. He then seemed to understand, but Kevin and I both agreed that even in the most secular homes in the US, praying before a meal is not something that would completely stump anyone.

Since we knew that the two men were coming, we asked our ayi to make traditional Chinese food for us to serve--which was definitely a good move. The men seemed to like the meal, and although it was intended to be both a gesture of initiating a friendship and also a thank you for their kindness, they ended up showing up with several large bags filled with all kinds of fruit! It is such a gift-giving culture, it amazes me every time. And it makes it really hard to properly re-pay anyone with them trying to re-pay you! My favorite part of the meal was at the end when I served fruit (what is culturally appropriate in China) and also a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies that the kids helped me do the day before. The men both enjoyed their cookies (at least they said they did!)--but ate them with their chopsticks! Kevin saw me trying to hide my grin at the table and asked me if I didn't want to take a picture for the blog. I thought it best not to embarass them!

Both men did want to take a picture with Kevin before they left, and requested that Noah be in the photo as well! Chinese people LOVE kids, and especially babies. And the funny thing is that men try to interact with them as much as Chinese women do! Both guys (who are single with no kids of their own) very comfortably scooped Noah out of my arms and started cooing away to him before taking the photo. I love it!

We have had a busy week with classes resuming, Kevin making it to work out with the baseball team, and friends (other westerners) over for dinner several nights. I'll try to back track and fill in more details when my eyes are feeling quite so heavy! For now, the dishes in the sink are calling my name. . .